Friday, June 13, 2008

Pledging

I had all these big dreams about what was going to be accomplished this summer. Write that novel that's floating around in my head, write a few articles for publications so I am a good academic, clean the house better, exercise & lose 20 pounds. Propose a book based on Women Writers.

So far, I've done a few things-- updated the Women Writers page, gotten a new poetry editor, gotten a bunch of apps for the fiction editor that need to be looked at. That was a big project, but overall, I feel like summer is slipping through my fingers and all I'm doing is a big fat nothing. Yes, I've written and submitted a few poems. But I have so many things that I just don't get done during the semester when I am teaching. Mostly, I need to learn to budget the small hours of the day that I have to be creative rather than being mom. I have from approx. 8-approx 3:30. Yes, during that time I still have to be mom, a lot. I have to grocery shop, pick up the mess a bit, etc.

But I'll admit, I am a bit lazy, too. I feel like I'm still decompressing from the years of being stressed and anxious about writing the dissertation and finally being done with that. I couldn't do it last year because we were so busy with Andrew's father's cancer & death. And last summer was filled with that traveling, and then the mourning. And still, all the daily mundane domestic tasks.

So anyway. I'm whining about it a little bit as a way to attempt to motivate myself, put it on public record that I need to start writing something every day. A little bit of the novel, a poem, the articles. Something so that I don't come to August and say "well, that was too fast and I did read a few good books but otherwise...."

So feel free to hold me to that.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

now wait a second, you can't just write a novel OR (and) lose 20 lbs. in a summer. go easy now.