Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to School Prep: Permanently Crazy

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in 15 years!

Intrigued? Hmmm?

I got a perm! Yay! I know this is kind of banal news, but I'm excited about it. I figured heck, 80s clothes are in style again, we gotta have the hairstyles not far behind, right?

Basically, Louisiana humidity makes my hair weirdly wavey. I can't do anything with my hair short of crazy ironing and lots of product, (which is SO not my thing--too time consuming. I want to be out of bed and out the door in 30 minutes or less.) So I figured I would make it easy on myself and make it really really really curly.

I've always loved my hair curly. It's so much easier to just put a little gel in wet hair and GO. So I just went for it. Found a picture on the Internet and went in to the salon.

The really daring part of my story is that I actually went to a student-school-training salon. Yup. I'm a crazy woman. The girl who did my hair had never done a perm on a real person before. Seriously. This is a walk on the wild side. She had a supervisor, yes, who hovered, and even did a little bit of the rolling, but still. :)

I like it. It looks cute, if very curly. I'll post a picture after I can wash it and it's a little less slept-on frizzy. (As Legally Blonde told us, we can't wash our permed hair for at least 24 hours.)

I keep thinking of that Frieda, the girl in Charlie Brown who was always bragging about her "naturally curly hair." :) I know it's not naturally curly. But I like it anyway. It makes me feel purty.

2 comments:

Clio Bluestocking said...

I am so with you on the perm! Wash, gel and go.

Anonymous said...

I have recently purchased:
1 pair parachute pants
1 can hairspray for my featherback stylee
1 pair white, pointy shoes
45 single of Rockwell's "Somebody's Watchin' Me"
1 ticket to Flock of Seagulls gig at some crappy bar downtown