Thursday, July 23, 2009

Exercising my Feminism Muscles-- a little

I have a friend on Facebook who is passionate about blogging about feminist issues in a way I wish I still were. So I usually read her posts, even when I don't comment on them. In reading her blog today, I found a link I'm going to recommend in a minute.

It's interesting to see her flexing those issues and reminds me that these arguments don't go away (unfortunately) because I'm not actively in the trenches arguing about them. The anti-feminist trolls are still out there on those blogs that I don't read & comment on like I used to. Sigh.

There is, however, a blog that wasn't around back when I wrote about more than twins and whiney parenting and not having a permanent job. It's pretty cool, and I was reading over the discussions, wishing that I wrote more like this still, thinking of whether I'd be willing to get into that fray again.

For now, I think I'll just point you all to the blog (called http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/) and say: here is a very useful resource.* If you're wondering what Feminism is, where to find interestingly written definitions of common feminist ideas/terms, etc, go to this blog and muck about. It makes me feel like I should be doing other things, like I haven't done this stuff in too long, but I don't know how much time I can devote to real philosophizin'-- especially with a kiddo literally crying (fake crying.. I'm glad to see it; it's a step in the right direction to his learning to communicate) for my attention.

My feminist muscles are a little shaky in theory, although I like to think that in raising two strong, assertive, kind, equal children of different genders, I am exercising them daily in practice.

********************************************************
*And I am disturbed that "very useful" worked it's way into the post while I was listening to Thomas the Train. AAAAAUGH! Children's programming-- is it reprogramming me subconsciously?

0 comments: