Friday, November 13, 2009

Roller Coaster Life

It's always amazing to me how fast time flies by. I will be waking up on Monday, tired and not ready for the weekend to be over and then I blink and it's Friday. Where the hell did that whole week go? Why is there another ton of laundry to fold; who is wearing all of these clothes?

And don't get me started on all the things I do not get done in that time. It was a freakin' blink, already, how could I have gotten anything done?


What we've been doing around here is fairly simple.


  • morning routine.
  • daytime stuff-- rental property issues, lunch with Andrew, LAUNDRY, trying to stay half a step against the mess in the house. Teach on Tues & Thurs.
  • pick up kids
  • snacktime for kids
  • grocery for dinner/cook dinner
  • sit outside with firepit.
  • watch the kiddos (yes, both of them) play on starfall.com and learn ABCs and computer skills. Be amazed.
  • Watch them run around outside in the dark chasing each other with their Nerf Swords. Be amazed, again.
  • Relax for a little while.
  • Enjoy a glass of Pinot Grigio. Attempt to keep it to ONE glass. It's a big glass. ;)
  • Bath/Bedtime
  • rinse. repeat.

Our trip to Texas last weekend was both good & sad. Andrew's cousin Wil was an important part of his life and he's gone, and the funeral events lasted all weekend, so we didn't get a lot of other stuff (visiting with friends, my birthday) done at all, really. But we DID get to spend a lot of time with family members. The old family cemetery was beautiful. And the hill country was amazingly gorgeous-- Fall leaves, sun at that time just before it goes down, hills like roller coasters and happy kids.

This weekend, we're actually having some company over, our houseguests are probably going to start moving into their own place soon and I suspect life will suddenly seem a lot quieter (and that's not altogether a good thing; I've enjoyed having the company).

But I doubt this fast forward button will slow down until far away into the fast forwarding future. Just throw your hands up and enjoy the roller coaster and try not to toss the cookies. It doesn't matter that I don't particularly LIKE roller coasters and prefer the quieter, simpler rides. I'm on this one, so I may as well try to live in this moment and enjoy the parts I can.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I wake up Monday exhausted but feeling okay about having a week to do things and then it's Friday, and nothing's done, and there's a whole completely different set of things that need to be during the weekend (or I'm not willing to use the weekend to catch up with work stuff from the week).

but I like how you put this--you're on the rollercoaster already; you may as well enjoy it. That's a good way to put it.